Hair loss in post-menopausal and peri-menopausal women is most likely related to declining hormone levels. Estrogen, testosterone, and thyroid deficiency are not only associated with hair loss, but also hair changes. Hair may become finer, losing body, wave and shine. It becomes dry and brittle, breaking easily. The scalp also becomes dry and may flake or itch. Every single cell in the body depends on adequate levels of hormones to remain healthy and this includes the hair follicles. Even after a patient receives balanced hormones, the damaged hairs may continue to “fall out.” What is important is the new, healthy hair growth. With thyroid deficiency this may take months. When estrogen and testosterone are replaced, the skin and scalp become healthier within days to weeks and new hair growth is noticeable within a month.
Some people may be confused over the term’androgenic alopecia.’ this refers to male pattern baldness and is not usually associated with testosterone or androgen excess. Alopecia, or hair loss, in post menopausal women is NOT associated with androgen excess. In fact, we see the most significant hair loss and thinning, brittle hair in women who are testosterone deficient. In rare cases, some pre-menopausal women with extremely high levels of androgens may experience hair loss if they genetically convert the testosterone to DHT in the hair follicle. Very rarely, a women on testosterone therapy, who has this same enzyme system, may lose hair if levels get too high.
- Most important: Balance hormones ( thyroid, testosterone, estrogen.)
- A diet of whole foods (fats and protein) and fruits and vegetables
- Stress reductions
- Avoid chemicals and harsh shampoos on hair.
- Water softener (hard water strips oils from hair making it dry and brittle)
- Avoid dry heat. Humidifier in the winter.
Supplementation for healthy hair:
- Supplement Biotin 5-8 mg per day
- Supplement Zinc 30mg
- B-Vitamin complex (B6, riboflavin, folic acid)
- Magnesium 500 mg per day
- Essential fatty acids (Omega Pure Fish Oil or Flax Seed)
- Iron, if deficient
- Vitamin D3: 10,000 IU per day
- Standardized Saw Palmetto Complex for men